There are several inexpensive and effective ways to maximize how your home shows to potential buyers, possibly boosting an offer by a few thousand dollars with only a little time and few hundred dollars of investment.
Just pay attention to how your home looks from the curb and how it shows when you walk through the door.
- Keep the lawn mowed, leaves raked, bushes trimmed and weed-free along walkways, driveway and in flower beds
- Keep watering and fertilizing the lawn so it shows green
- Remove and store outdoor sports equipment, lawn tools, construction materials, and trash cans
- Remove leaves, insect nests and webs from porches, decks and windows
- Plant containers of hardy and brightly colored flowers such as geraniums and mums in prominent locations
- Keep the garage door closed
- Keep things clean and put away, especially in the kitchen and bathrooms. Spray clean bathroom and kitchen counters before any occasion that may bring a potential buyer through the house. Clean tubs and showers and place toilet seats down before a showing
- Tighten and repair cabinet handles, hinges and doorknobs so everything is solid and not wobbly
- Air out the house and avoid smells from cooking or smoking
- Make sure that plumbing fixtures such as faucets and toilets are in good working order. Repair dripping faucets and running toilets
- To make the home look more spacious, consider removing some pieces of furniture
- Touch up high traffic areas around walls and doors that may have nicks, scrapes and smudges. Outside wall corners that are especially susceptible to becoming nicked should be repaired and repainted